Thursday, September 20, 2012

My Pesto Salmon with Julia's Braised Rice!

I try to eat fish a couple of times of week for the benefits
of the Omega 3's.   Supposedly, they contribute to every inch of 
our beautiful bodies - from our hearts to our minds!
Keeping that in mind, one of my favorite fish to eat is salmon.  
But not every day am I able to pop in and buy a fresh piece of fish!
Costco sells these nifty individually wrapped salmon portions in a bag 
on their freezer aisle. Depending on how hungry you are (and if you are 
sharing it, how hungry they are), you can get two meals out of one.
Or, okay, one meal and the other half is lunch for the next day 
(crumble cooked salmon, then add capers, chopped red onions, 
and a sprinkling of olive oil and champagne vinegar. Yum!).
But, I'm feeling pretty hungry tonight so I'm eating it 
all - and not sharing! It's just me! 
This is one of my old stand-by meals I can make in a pinch because I usually have
both the pesto in the frig and the salmon portions in the freezer at all times. 
The salmon defrosts fairly quickly but its always best to think ahead and 
place in the frig to thaw in the morning before you head out!  
As you can see, I just use purchased pesto and plop some 
down on the baking dish, sit the rinsed and patted-dry salmon on top,
 then slather little more on its top.  Bake at 350 degrees for exactly 
30 minutes (less if you get a thinner piece).  As it bakes, the olive oil from
the pesto sort of melts in the heat adding the wonderful taste
of basil to the salmon.  As it bakes, put together a 
couple side dishes, set the table, pour the wine, and
Voila! There you have it!
One of the easiest and tastiest salmons you will ever make!
I accompanied the salmon with buttered brussels sprouts
(also from the freezer) and another stand by - Julia Child's 
Braised Rice.  I can easily make it from memory and change 
it up now and again.  Her Braised Rice - Risotto (French Style) recipe 
is in her cookbook, Julia's Kitchen Wisdom"Essential Techniques and 
Recipes from a Lifetime of Cooking".  This recipe is also in her 
cookbook, Mastering the Art of French Cooking but the recipe is a 
little easier to follow in her Julia's Kitchen WisdomJust so you'll 
have it, here is the recipe.  I know you'll love it and it has a 
much nicer flavor than the boiled rice we grew up with.

Braised Rice - Risotto (French Style)
Source: Julia's Kitchen Wisdom, by Julia Child

     Saute 1/4 cup of finely minced onion in 2 tablespoons of butter to soften. Stir in 1 cup of rice and cook, stirring with a wooden fork [!!], for 2 to 3 minutes, until grains look milky.  Stir in 2 tablespoons dry white French vermouth and 2 cups chicken stock, add 1 imported [!!] bay leaf, and bring to simmer.  Season lightly. Stir once, lower heat, cover, and cook as for basic boiled rice. [I just love Julia Child!]

So - Enjoy - and Bon Appetit

Please join me this Friday and Monday at:


StoneGable

Fondly,
~ Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...